World War II, the US Army was looking for a vehicle to replace the
motorcycle as a mechanized form of transportation. The vehicle was
Classified "GP" for General Purpose, and was therefore referred to as
In 1940, the American Bantam Car Company of Butler, PA. constructed 62
quarter-ton, four-wheel-drive prototypes for the military.
Jeeps were produced in large numbers by Willys-Overland Motors, the
Ford Motor Company, and the Bantam firm. According to one newspaper
account, about 660,000 were made. Jeeps were incredibly important to
the war effort and became for many a symbol of American ingenuity. This is one of the prototypes of the famous army vehicle.
In 2007, one of the Bantam prototypes was donated to the First Composite Group Association. Click on the image to see the restoration project by FCGA members dedicated to "Preserve the Past for the Future".
Click Image To View Restoration Project